Male Sexual Dysfunction Therapy
There are two components to a satisfying sex life for men: the desire to have sex, and the ability to perform. If you have challenges with either one or both, we can help.
The Facts about Male Sexual Dysfunction Therapy
- Erectile dysfunction (E.D.) is common. According to the Massachusetts Male Aging Study, the rate of E.D. in the adult male population overall is 52%.
- A healthy sex drive is the foundation for sexual function. In other words, the brain and body must “want to do it”. You can’t have a healthy sex drive without balanced hormones—testosterone and estrogen, in particular.
- Penile sensitivity is necessary for healthy sexual function. Penile sensitivity only occurs by virtue of an aroused brain sending the proper signals to the nerve cells in the penis. These signals won’t be sent without healthy levels of testosterone.
- Balancing testosterone and estrogen resolves low sex drive and E.D. for many men. For those who continue to struggle with either one or both of these issues, even after hormones are balanced, we have a progression of treatment choices that can be used to restore function.
Methods of Treatment
- The first thing we do is check testosterone and estrogen levels via lab testing. If necessary, our doctors will balance these hormones to healthy levels using testosterone therapy. This step alone will resolve sexual dysfunction for many men.
- If balancing testosterone and estrogen isn’t enough, we lab test for prolactin. Prolactin makes women want to hug and nurture their children. In men, it kills the desire for sex. If your prolactin level is high, our doctors can prescribe a medication to reduce it.
- Growth hormone can be optimized to improve sexual function.
- If symptoms remain after hormones are balanced, our doctors may recommend trying PDE-5 inhibitors. While these medications do nothing for sex drive, they produce significant increases in nitric oxide in the blood, which can make getting and maintaining an erection possible. Brand names like Cialis, Viagra, and Levitra are available in generic form via troche. Troches simply dissolve in the mouth for quicker absorption.
- Any of the above can be mixed with other medications that can enhance arousal, thereby making them more effective. Our doctors can work with you to determine what to try, and in what order.
- PDE-5 inhibitors cause side effects in some men, and don’t work for others. Some men simply can’t take them due to other health conditions. If PDE-5 inhibitors aren’t a good option for you, we continue on.
If balancing hormones and PDE-5 inhibitors don’t work for you, our doctors may write you a prescription for one of the following:
- A topical vasodilator to increase blood flow.
- Injectable nutrients like L-Arginine. L-Arginine will increase the level of nitric oxide in the blood, which can restore functionality in some men by increasing blood flow to the penis. L-Arginine injections can be tried before, after, or in conjunction with any of the above.
- The hormone oxytocin. Oxytocin stimulates the desire for closeness and intimacy, which results in greater sexual desire, improved function, and better orgasms.
- Apomorphine on an as-need basis. Apomorphine stimulates dopamine in the brain to further stimulate the sexual response.
If none of the above is effective with regard to erectile dysfunction, penile injections are the safety net. They work for almost everyone, and we have many clients who swear by them.
- If needed, our doctors will prescribe a mixture called Trimix for you. Trimix contains three ingredients that stimulate an erection when injected into the penis. Some men may need a mixture that contains a fourth ingredient.
- Penile injections are self-administered using a very small needle.
- With our doctors’ supervision, you are given instructions to titrate your dose until you find exactly the right amount that works for you.
- When done correctly, these injections do not hurt, and they work quickly.
The progression listed above alleviates sexual dysfunction in 99+% of our clients.
Sex is an important part of life. Believe it or not, having sex regularly actually helps men to live longer. Don’t suffer in silence with sexual dysfunction. Let’s do something about it.