Hair Loss Therapy
Because hair loss has no direct impact on physical health, it isn’t always given the attention it deserves in your average physician’s office. What many healthcare practitioners fail to appreciate is the emotional toll hair loss can take on a person. We get it. And we’re here to help.
The Facts about Hair Loss Therapy
- Hair loss can be an indication of an underlying hormone imbalance.
- Hair loss frequently occurs due to an imbalance in thyroid.
- Hair loss can be caused by nutritional deficiencies.
- In some people, hair loss is caused by a stronger version of testosterone called DHT. Only people with DHT-sensitive hair follicles will see a correlation between their testosterone/DHT levels and hair loss.
- Cortisol levels that are too high or too low are sometimes responsible for hair loss.
Methods of Treatment
We work with you to determine your best course of treatment. To that end, we make sure that your questions are answered and that your treatment options are discussed in detail before proceeding with the steps listed below. With your input, treatment generally proceeds as follows:
- We check your thyroid levels via lab testing. Our doctors will prescribe treatment if you are diagnosed with a thyroid imbalance. Hair loss will stop one to two weeks after thyroid levels are restored if this is the cause of your hair loss.
- Since anemia is a common cause of hair loss, we check your iron levels via lab testing. If you are iron-deficient, our doctors will provide you with instructions for supplementation.
- Our doctors will provide you with a list of supplements that improve hair quality. You may also be prescribed biotin injections.
- We will check your adrenal function for production of cortisol that is too high or too low. If warranted, our doctors will recommend treatment.
- If hair loss persists, and testosterone sensitivity is suspected, our doctors can treat the problem locally at the hair follicle with a prescription shampoo.
Hair loss is not a black and white problem, and process of elimination is the best way to uncover the cause. This kind of strategic approach to better aging is what we bring to the table. Let’s see if we can get this figured out.