Low thyroid is one of the most misdiagnosed conditions suffered by menopausal women and andropausal men. Even when low thyroid is diagnosed, that diagnosis frequently misses critical components, and too often the condition isn’t treated correctly. This is no small matter. If your thyroid levels are low, you will likely experience numerous unpleasant symptoms, such as fatigue, irritability, insomnia, and weight gain.
The Facts about Thyroid Therapy
Thyroid Is Not an Area of Expertise For Most Doctors
For the moment, let’s assume that you have low thyroid, that you’ve been lucky enough to have it diagnosed in some fashion, and that you’re being treated with thyroid hormone. There is still a very good chance that there are gaps in your diagnosis and in your treatment. Many healthcare practitioners:
- Don’t know that there are multiple thyroid hormones.
- Don’t understand the relationship between these hormones.
- Don’t understand how important this relationship is to proper diagnosis and treatment.
- Don’t know what optimal levels of thyroid hormone actually are, and consequently don’t prescribe enough thyroid medication when it’s needed.
- Don’t know the difference between synthetic and bioidentical thyroid.
If healthcare practitioners don’t understand what healthy levels of thyroid are, don’t understand the difference between the various thyroid hormones, aren’t testing the right hormones, and aren’t prescribing the right medication in the right dose, their patients aren’t going to feel as well as they could.
Method of Treatment
- We always start by checking your thyroid hormones—the right thyroid hormones.
- Our doctors take a full inventory of symptoms to see if any of them are consistent with low thyroid.
- If treatment is indicated, our doctors prescribe bioidentical thyroid.
- Six weeks later we retest your thyroid levels to be sure that they are optimal. For most people this will be near the top of what’s considered the normal lab-tested range. Then our doctors make adjustments to dosage accordingly.
- Recommendations will be given for supplements that will help your body to process thyroid hormones efficiently.
The interplay between thyroid hormones and your other hormones is too critical to ignore. Better aging means balancing everything—including thyroid. Beyond that, it just has to be done correctly. And that’s the only way we know how.