Make These Resolutions for a Better You In 2021
Just about everyone makes at least a couple of resolutions for the New Year. It’s a good time to collectively start fresh with new goals.
And…let’s face it…after a year like 2020 we’re all ready to leap forward into a better year.
To that end, here are some resolutions to help you be a better and healthier you this upcoming year and beyond.
Resolution #1: Get More Sleep
Sleep is important…but do you know just how important it really is? The short answer is…it’s vital to your health and wellbeing.
Here are just a few of the benefits sleep provides:
- Sleep is good for your heart.Lack of sleep can make your body produce too much of the stress hormone cortisol. And excess cortisol can put stress on your cardiovascular system.
- Sleep supports your immune system.While you’re asleep, your immune cells recharge and rebuild, helping your body to fight infection. And many experts believe getting enough sleep can actually make immunizations more effective.
- Sleep helps you control your weight.When sleep deprived, your body produces more ghrelin, also known as the hunger hormone. Sleep deprivation also reduces the production of leptin…known as the satiety hormone.Getting enough sleep helps to keep these two appetite-controlling hormones in balance, making it easier to avoid over-eating.
- Sleep improves brain function.Not only does your brain repair itself during sleep, but it also uses sleep to sort and organize your memories.
Experts recommend 7-8 hours of sleep each night for adults. To increase your chances for getting a good night’s sleep, be sure to maintain good habits in terms of sleep hygiene.
Resolution #2: Commit to an Exercise Routine
If you don’t exercise regularly already, make this the year you resolve to get up off the couch and get moving.
The benefits of exercise include:
- Improved heart health
- Lowered blood sugar and improved insulin sensitivity
- Weight control
- Stronger muscles and bones
- Improved sleep quality
- Enhanced libido and sexual function
Experts recommend thirty minutes of cardio daily (which can be achieved by walking, running, cycling, or any other sustained movement that gets you breathing harder). Include at least a few days of resistance training each week to preserve muscle mass and bone density.
Resolution #3: Eat Healthier
Food is the fuel your body needs to function optimally. To that end, you want to make sure you’re giving your body high quality fuel. What you eat really matters.
Stick to lean protein, colorful vegetables, fruits, and whole grains. Avoid highly processed foods and refined sugars.
If you need to lose weight, consider the Keto diet and/or intermittent fasting…but always consult with a doctor before starting any new dieting regimen.
Resolution #4: Be More Mindful
Modern day life can be hectic. If you find yourself continually running from one thing to the next…or engaging in one activity while thinking about something else…you’re not alone. But all this does is cause stress to accumulate in your body and in your mind. And stress is bad news for your health.
Take a little time each day to get off the hamster wheel. Be in the moment, even if it’s just for a few minutes. Take a few deep breaths. Clear your mind…
If you’re feeling more ambitious, give meditation a try. Need a little help starting out? There are many guided meditations to choose from on YouTube…not to mention various apps you can put on your phone.
Resolution #5: Balance Your Hormones
Trying to do all of the above may sound like a lot. But there’s one resolution that can help you with all of them:
Make 2021 the year you get your hormones balanced.
As women age, their bodies produce less estrogen and progesterone. Both men and women face declining testosterone, DHEA, pregnenalone, thyroid, melatonin, and growth hormone production.
The loss of these important hormones causes issues like:
- Brain fog and memory loss
- Reduced muscle mass and bone density
- Weight gain
- Sexual dysfunction and low libido
- Irritability, depression, anxiety, and mood swings
- Hot flashes
- And many other symptoms
Restoring your hormones to healthy levels can go a long way toward helping to jump start your new year.
At Renew Youth, we’re here to help you find the way to a healthier you in the New Year and beyond.
Want to learn more? Call us at 800-859-7511 or use our convenient contact form to schedule your free consultation.