How to Get the Most Out of Your Hormone Replacement Therapy
Hormones control almost everything your body does.
But…your natural production of hormones will decline as you get older.
Because hormones control almost everything your body does, your wellbeing is likely to suffer when hormone levels aren’t optimal. Deficiencies and imbalances can cause a multitude of symptoms including loss of muscle mass, weight gain, brain fog, fatigue, low sex drive, mood instability, and more.
This is where hormone replacement therapy (HRT) comes in. Properly managed HRT can correct these deficiencies and imbalances, thereby alleviating symptoms and enhancing health overall.
But HRT is not a “one size fits all” treatment—or at least it shouldn’t be. Successful HRT depends on the following…
When it comes to the hormonal changes associated with aging, we’re all different. Each of us will experience age-related hormone decline in our own way.
As a result, hormone replacement therapy should be customized to your body’s particular needs.
To that end, two things need to be done before you begin HRT:
- Lab testing to determine your current hormone levels: Your body works best when your hormones are within optimal ranges.
Lab testing provides the black and white data needed to determine which hormones are out of balance, and by how much. At Renew Youth, we’ve found that blood testing generally provides the most consistent and dependable results.
- Initial consultation and inventory of symptoms: While lab testing is important, it isn’t the entire HRT equation. At Renew Youth, we collect a detailed health history, as well as a comprehensive inventory of your symptoms. Our doctors use this information (in combination with your lab results) to tailor your treatment regimen to your unique needs.
Repeat Lab Testing
Not only are everyone’s needs different…but your response to HRT over time can be different, too. The ideal formula today could be something different a year or two from now. The goal is not only to find what’s optimal now, but to maintain that for as long as you’re on HRT.
At Renew Youth, we know that routine lab testing and continually monitoring how you feel are essential components to successful hormone replacement therapy. How often should you lab test? Our clients test every six months once they’re balanced and feeling good. When reviewing your lab results, our process includes checking in with you on how you’re feeling. Your Renew Youth doctor will tweak and adjust your treatment regimen (as necessary) based upon your new lab results and the feedback you provide to us with regard to how you’re feeling.
Start HRT Early
Too often hormone replacement therapy isn’t considered until a person has experienced symptoms from age-related hormone imbalance for many years…or until symptoms become severe. This is unfortunate, as well as unnecessary.
For the best results, start hormone replacement therapy as soon as you begin to experience symptoms…however minor.
Make Healthy Lifestyle Choices
By itself, hormone replacement therapy can yield benefits like more energy and increased mental clarity.
However, you can build on these benefits by maintaining healthy lifestyle habits, including:
- Sleep: Balanced hormones can remove a number of impediments to good sleep. Build on this by following a consistent bedtime routine. Be sure to turn off devices like smart phones, tablets, laptops, and televisions at least half an hour before bedtime.
- Exercise: Balanced hormones can help you to gain muscle mass and lose body fat…but only if you’re including enough physical activity in your routine. Make sure you’re getting cardiovascular exercise several days per week, and resistance training 3-4 days per week. The increased energy you gain from HRT will make it easier to keep up with regular workouts.
- Nutrition: Support the results you’ll see from hormone replacement therapy by making better food choices. Limit red meat in favor of lean protein choices like fish and chicken. Increase servings of fruits and vegetables. Make sure the fats you eat are healthy ones (like olive oil). Perhaps most important of all, cut down on carbohydrates in all its forms (especially sugar).
Remember…hormone replacement therapy is an investment in your good health and quality of life…now and for years to come. Like any investment, it requires commitment and discipline to get the most out of it.
Want to learn more? Renew Youth is here to help. Give us a call at (800) 859-7511 or use our contact form to schedule your free consultation.