Benefits of Nitric Oxide for Men’s Health
Learn why men need nitric oxide—and testosterone—to protect their health as they age.
Nitric oxide is one of the most important molecules in the body, because it helps cells communicate. The discovery of this signaling function of nitric oxide was so important that it actually resulted in a Nobel Prize for Medicine in 1998.
Today, a great deal of research has been done on nitric oxide and it has been discovered that this molecule can:
- Improve memory by transmitting information between nerve cells in the brain
- Assist the immune system in fighting bacteria and tumors
- Dilate arteries to increase oxygen and blood flow, regulate blood pressure, and protect against heart disease
- Reduce inflammation
- Increase endurance and strength
- Improve sleep quality
- Serve as the building block of healthy erections
How to Boost Nitric Oxide Naturally
Unfortunately, as men age, nitric oxide production in the body can drop. This is especially likely in men with poor diet and activity levels, since they will likely develop arterial plaque that will interfere with the production of nitric oxide on the interior surface of the arteries.
Rather than relying on medications to act on nitric oxide pathways, here are some steps you can take to boost your nitric oxide naturally and support your hearth health and sexual health.
- Be sure you have healthy testosterone levels. In and of itself, testosterone is already vital for both heart health and healthy sexual function. But it also has an important role to play in helping to protect whatever amount of nitric oxide your body is able to produce. So, before you proceed with other means of boosting your nitric oxide levels, be sure to yet your testosterone levels tested and raised to a healthy level with a quality hormone replacement program. Otherwise, you may be wasting your efforts.
- Exercise. The simplest mechanism for increasing nitric oxide in the body is through exercise. When you work out, your muscles demand oxygen and your heart pumps harder to give it to them. Increased blood flow results in increased release of nitric oxide from arterial linings.
- Improve your diet. Nitric oxide levels can also be improved through your diet. One possibility is to take in more L-arginine. This amino acid can be found in nuts, fruits, meats, and dairy, as well as in certain supplements. It can be converted directly into nitric oxide inside of cells. It is also important to take in plenty of antioxidants in order to protect nitric oxide from being destroyed by free radicals before it has a chance to be used by the body. Eating fruits high in Vitamin C is one simple way to accomplish this.